Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Obama candidacy

It's probably too early for this, but I do think it's something worth thinking about. Among the leading candidates, I think the majority of us around here probably favor Edwards. Still, especially if Obama is able to win on Tuesday (and espceially if, as seems quite likely Edwards is a poor third), his chances are looking worse and Obama's are looking really good.

So if it's Obama, what do we think about that?

I believe strongly that we have to do whatever it takes to defeat the Republican nominee, even if our nominee is Hillary Clinton. It's important for a lot of reasons, including the fact that economic royalism will continue under any conceivable Republican nominee, the fact that any Republican president will appoint clones of Scalia, Roberts, and Alito to the Supreme Court, and that any Republican president will be in favor of staying in Iraq, essentially forever.

Those facts are not true of any of the Democratic candidates.

Here's a link to a diavlog about the Democratic race that makes the point that Obama will absolutely be better than Clinton, and will be able to accomplish some important things we want (like universal health care) better than any real alternative. You don't have to agree with everything in it, but it's worth a listen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One curious remark I heard Edwards had made was that his children would not be receiving any gifts made in China this Christmas. This strikes me as the worst kind of protectionism. It's not that US manufacturers have been anything like perfect in their pursuit of product safety at all costs, no matter the effect on profit. And I still don't see why Chinese workers shouldn't have jobs, too.
I think he may be my preference in this field (I'm not really sure), but I wish he didn't have things like this in his public comments.

January 08, 2008 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jack McCullough said...

Yeah, tom,, I think protectionism is a tough issue, and there is one politically correct position for Democrats to have, especially Democrats who hope for union support. I've been thinking about it in relation to the illegal immigration and amnesty issue, and I'm hoping to post something on it soon.

In the China case, we also have the dangerous product issue, which really came to a head before Christmas, and that also leads to the fact that the head of the CPSC under Bush has been completely in the pocket of industry. I think that would be a better area for attack.

January 09, 2008 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home